Apple Hill 2016

A subforum for event planning and idea discussion.

Moderators: Helpers, Moderators

Maia_Libre
Social Justice Druid

Apple Hill 2016

Unread post by Maia_Libre » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:30 pm

As the residential (currently geographically displaced) mountain redneck liberal, it's my duty to remind you guys that it's nearing Apple Hill season!

Apple Hill is the name given to the mass of apple / berry / pumpkin farms around Camino / Pollock Pines, and every year at harvest they sell their wares for the masses. Most popular are the apple pies and ciders, naturally, and certain farms offer your own apple picking. Kids, Inc and High Hill also offer plenty of family-friendly activities, host local vendors, and sell absolutely delicious food.

While Boa Vista and many wineries are open year-round, the bakeries, ranches, and farms all open Labor Day weekend, and stay open Friday - Sunday until about Christmastime. Pumpkin patches open mid-September / early October, and the tree farms generally open up Black Friday.

Here's a list of all the places to visit in Apple Hill, though the main attractions tend to be Abel's Acres, Kids, Inc, Boa Vista, and High Hill Ranch/Fudge Factory. I personally recommend, for smaller trips, checking out the less-frequented farms (I mean they're all busy let's be real here).

For those who are 21+, Jack Russel Brewery and Boeger Winery tend to be the most popular places for beer and wine (my personal fave is Wofford Acre Vineyards, though).

Saturdays tend to be fairly busy, so it'd be better to get a solid plan of which farms to visit before heading up there, and also having a solid idea of when the best time to head back to the valley would be - most shops close up at 5pm, and traffic west on 50 is a pretty gnarly bumper-to-bumper, as are the main 2 back roads.

In the past, we've headed up there around 10am and got back into Placerville around dinnertime, then had dinner at Z-Pie's or somewhere else on Main St for dinner and means of waiting out traffic.
I stared into the void, but it never called me back.

Wolfstang

Re: Apple Hill 2016

Unread post by Wolfstang » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:45 pm

I'd love to go if I'm free to do so this year. I keep missing this trip with our group.
Life is easier to swallow covered in fur.

silvermosico
Agent #09095

Re: Apple Hill 2016

Unread post by silvermosico » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:44 pm

I'm going to attempt going sometime in October, possibly lol
Image I eat happiness