Puppy Socialization

A subforum for event planning and idea discussion.

Moderators: Helpers, Moderators

Rennon

Puppy Socialization

Unread post by Rennon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:56 pm

Copied from the Jaspers FA Journal (link):
Jasper wrote:Hi guys; so as most of you know my pup Oliver is in training to be my service dog.

He needs to be exposed to MANY things early in his life to be comfortable everywhere and able to do his job regardless of what is around us or where we are - my goal is for him to be ready for work and full public access by the age of 6-7 months old; meaning I'd be able to rely on him by then.

He turned 11 weeks old today and is in his first fear period (between 10 and 12 weeks old) so no exposure to stressful things for him ATM...
But I was thinking of finding a couple people who own fursuits (partial or not) and live in or near Sacramento CA, that we'd meet so that my pup can be exposed to costumes of all sorts in about a month from now.
By then he will be ready to walk (fully vaccinated; he is not touching the ground till then because of the risk of Parvo!!) and will be able to socialize all he wants.
Which also means free puppy kisses for you guys!

He's the friendliest pup; but be warned that he already is not small (about 14 inches at the shoulder and 15 pounds) and will be much bigger by then. So if you are only comfortable with small dogs it won't be for you (unless of course you are trying to learn to be comfortable around dogs. Then you're welcome to come and meet us)! He is already learning manners and will not be allowed to jump on you; and doesn't bite or anything; but he's pretty hyper and it can get overwhelming.

If we find a couple people willing to come meet us we will organize something and start planning; for now we are just going to look for anyone interested for it! :)

NOTE:
I am a trans guy; have agoraphobia, general anxiety and PTSD so do not expect me to be super comfortable. I'm doing it for my pup; but it will be pretty hard on me.
Reason why I am putting this here is: in case other trans people wanna meet, because it sounds pretty cool. And just because I don't want to freak out anyone if I end up having a breakdown LMAO.

I may or may not have another FA artist come with me; she's a really good friend and might be interested in that. SHE is quite the social little thing and I bet she'd love it; so who knows c:
https://www.furaffinity.net/journal/7667536/

After talking to Jasper, they are looking for maybe 10-15 people to help socialize the service dog in training so it can be comfortable around suiters/costumes.

Posted this in the group telegram, but wanted to get as much exposure as possible. This is an excellent opportunity for the group to get together and do something else for someone in need.

Edit: Non suiters are welcome as well.
Last edited by Zoren on Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: edited to clarify what post was quoted and source of quote.

Zoren
who?

Re: Puppy Socialization

Unread post by Zoren » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:09 am

I'd be interisted in helping out with this.

Rennon

Re: Puppy Socialization

Unread post by Rennon » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:07 pm

I am obviously up for this as well.