South Sac Eats...One Of These Days

A subforum for event planning and idea discussion.

Moderators: Helpers, Moderators

seraph
Snowmew Overlord

Re: South Sac Eats...One Of These Days

Unread post by seraph » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:16 pm

Sparky wrote:I picked up one of those Vampire Penguin Groupons, so I'm up for going. Its for $10 and I'm not sure Jim will want to go (might be too weird for him? I never know), so if not I may need someone to share it with me. 8:) I also grabbed a Rick's Dessert Diner in case we ever go down that way (otherwise of course I'll just go myself).
I could maybe do a quick thing this evening!
If you're tired of tea, then you're tired of life.

Sparky
Queen of the Zulus

Unread post by Sparky » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:12 pm

seraph wrote:
Sparky wrote:I picked up one of those Vampire Penguin Groupons, so I'm up for going. Its for $10 and I'm not sure Jim will want to go (might be too weird for him? I never know), so if not I may need someone to share it with me. 8:) I also grabbed a Rick's Dessert Diner in case we ever go down that way (otherwise of course I'll just go myself).
I could maybe do a quick thing this evening!
Well I'm not free this weekend myself...

Raxmei
Seven of Swords

Unread post by Raxmei » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:04 pm

Hey Seraph, what was that thing you said about the chow mein at TK Noodle? Anyway we don't think that restaurant's the best place for a meet but there are tons of other eateries in the area that we're looking into.

seraph
Snowmew Overlord

Unread post by seraph » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:52 am

Raxmei wrote:Hey Seraph, what was that thing you said about the chow mein at TK Noodle?
Besides that it was the worst, greasiest, most tasteless excuse for "chow mein" (if you could even call it that) I've ever tried?
If you're tired of tea, then you're tired of life.

Pounce!
SacFur masCAT

Unread post by Pounce! » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:40 pm

BTW, I tried the VP in downtown, across CoinOp, near the convention center. Sadly wasn't impressed with their Strawberry one. Size mainly was smaller than pics. They have a basic $3 which to me appears more value than the specialty $7-9 ones.

Up for any affordable dinners.
Is it safe?...Doubtful.

Raxmei
Seven of Swords

Unread post by Raxmei » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:38 pm

I finally got around to checking out Szechuan Spicy House. Seems okay. They have some interesting stuff for reasonable prices. A bit more authentic than the usual Chinese restaurant.

Raxmei
Seven of Swords

Unread post by Raxmei » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:12 pm

I recently found out I live just down the road from Baker's Donuts, a prominent local donut shop. They're thriving with a Krispy Kreme right across the street so they must be doing something right.
http://www.sacbee.com/food-drink/restau ... 61829.html
https://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/s ... d=16091008

If you miss cereal-topped special donuts and can't wait for Psycho Donuts at FC you can get some here. Also known for donut ice cream sandwiches. They have normal donuts too. Not enough seating to make a meet of it but maybe somebody could stop by for a box on the way to a picnic or something.

Sparky
Queen of the Zulus

Unread post by Sparky » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:21 pm

Raxmei wrote:I recently found out I live just down the road from Baker's Donuts, a prominent local donut shop. They're thriving with a Krispy Kreme right across the street so they must be doing something right.
http://www.sacbee.com/food-drink/restau ... 61829.html
https://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/s ... d=16091008

If you miss cereal-topped special donuts and can't wait for Psycho Donuts at FC you can get some here. Also known for donut ice cream sandwiches. They have normal donuts too. Not enough seating to make a meet of it but maybe somebody could stop by for a box on the way to a picnic or something.
Stopped there once, with all the toppings I agree it was like Psycho Donuts. Didn't try their "cronut" knockoff that time (and the customer after me bought the last of them) but they are extremely popular and one needs to get there early as they always run out.

Sparky
Queen of the Zulus

Unread post by Sparky » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:22 pm

My Vampire Penguin Groupon is expiring on the 16th. Anyone want to go? The groupon is for $10 and I won't spend that all on myself so someone else could get in on it with me. I'm only really free Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays right now though.

Pounce!
SacFur masCAT

Unread post by Pounce! » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:20 pm

After clucksuiting at FA ChickenFest we dropped by VP and got again the popular Strawberry thing for about $9. Just add an extra topping and you're good to go. Prices aren't that low without a discount.
Is it safe?...Doubtful.

Sparky
Queen of the Zulus

Unread post by Sparky » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:10 pm

I'd still like to not have to go alone. 8:p But if nobody's interested I may just go tomorrow as I should be down that way anyways.

Rezsgar

Unread post by Rezsgar » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:32 am

Sparky wrote:I'd still like to not have to go alone. 8:p But if nobody's interested I may just go tomorrow as I should be down that way anyways.
LEMUR WILL GO!!! When going though? Me has plans later today, but can do stuffs before 3:00pm!

Sparky
Queen of the Zulus

Unread post by Sparky » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:55 pm

Sorry, didn't know where I'd be when...I guess I'll be going in just a little bit here (the south Sac one).

Edit: thanks to folks who joined me. 8:)

Raxmei
Seven of Swords

Unread post by Raxmei » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:03 pm

Seraph and I just tried out Taste of Angkor down on Mack Road next to the SF Mart. It's a Cambodian restaurant that also serves some Lao, Thai, and Vietnamese dishes. Level of adventurousness scales from basic fried rice and egg rolls all the way down to stuff like raw beef salad, with the middle populated by some tasty curries, soups, and stir fries. When we went there we got the kapoon, a chicken and vermicelli soup with mild coconut curry broth, based on positive reviews and it was good. A small is $7 (add 50 cents to add pig's blood) and is a perfectly reasonable meal in itself. I also got some lemongrass beef skewers out of nostalgia.

Location isn't far from the Meadowview light rail, prices are mostly under $10 for generous portion sizes, and they can split checks.

http://www.tasteofangkor.com/

Pounce!
SacFur masCAT

Unread post by Pounce! » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:25 pm

I'm about 10 min away. So I'm game. Can even host a small after meet (what are those again?). Just not quite yet.
Is it safe?...Doubtful.